bpa wrote:
> Since you are using an SBR (Reciver not Radio), it cannot play
> AAC/MP4/M4A natively and so LMS uses faad/flac to transcode m4a
> (actually AAC as m4a is the file not audio format) into a Flac stream
> (i.e lossless) and the lossless Flac is sent to SBR .  Squeezeplay is
> similar and so you have the same problem with both players - faad cannot
> decode the file.  If you can replace your faad with the version from
> 7.7.2 , it might fix the problem but I have a nagging feeling that there
> is still a group of m4a file which cannot be  players because of the m4a
> file structures (e.g. indexes are at the end of the file)
>

> You'd  better to tranmscode to Flac - trhat way you won't be losing any
> qualoity - VLC should be able to do this.
>
> edit:
>
> You can get the faad for 7.7.2 from here
> http://svn.slimdevices.com/slim/7.7/trunk/server/Bin/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread/
> . You mayalso need to copy the cgwin DLLs as well - at some point
> between 7.3 and 7.6 the faad build changed and they became required.

bpa, this was the info I needed.

First, I did an external search for mp4 faad and found these SQ threads
- listing them here may help others:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-77834.html

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26302  [discussing
7.3 & 7.4]

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?82324-Playing-m4a-(AAC)-with-Squeezebox-Server
[discussing 7.5]

and also found the wiki entry:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AAC  [but only refers to
transcoding mov files]

Thanks for the link to the 7.7.2 faad system.  I'm running linux but
I'll look through the same tree and see what I can find.

In the meantime, I'll try some transcoding on the fly.  The strongest
advice in those threads seemed to be:

> I was able to get AAC/M4A/MP4 file playback working perfectly with the
> latest nightly build of 7.4.1 by adding the following to my
> /etc/squeezeboxserver/conver.conf file :
>
> Code: Select all
> #---------
>
> mov pcm * *
> # F
>
> [mp42aac] $FILE$ -stdout | [aac2wav] -stdin -stdout
>

> mp4 pcm * *
> # F
>
> [mp42aac] $FILE$ -stdout | [aac2wav] -stdin -stdout
>
> #-------
>

> And removing (commenting out) this section:
>
> Code: Select all
> mp4 pcm * *
>
> # F
> [faad] -q -w -f 2 -b 1 -s 44100 $FILE$

This will transcode to wav.  I'd prefer to transcode to flac on the fly.
I wonder if there's an 'aac2flc' command?  (I'll search.)

bpa, thanks for the post, which really helped me dig out some of the
historical background, as well as informing about some of the (possibly)
remaining issues.  I'll try some of this later during the day.

regards, Atlantic