bpa wrote:

> The problem is with your file as LMS 7.7 can play many m4a/mp4/aac
> files.  faad is an "official" decoder but I think there are some files
> which it can't handle and I suspect your file is one.

Beginning to look possible.

> What info do you get when you run the file with the "-i" option ?

I ran with -i; just a hang.  ^C exited.

> What type of processor and speed is on your LMS server ?

Celeron 2200.  Server only runs SBS; library is on internal SATA drives.
It's a reasonably modern, unstressed, machine.

bpa, I guess we've pretty much exhausted the options - to say nothing of
exhausting everyone else reading the thread.  I'll just convert the file
offline.  But I would like to say thank you, very much indeed, for your
help and insights (and for the hint about running programs not on a
path).

regards, Atlantic