I agree with you both. I also want to own the music. The problem is I
struggle to justify that position other than on sound quality grounds.
If I could load all my FLAC files into the cloud and stream them in all
their pristine quality to whatever player I wanted wherever and whenever
I wanted then I suspect that is what I would do. I might even pay £10 a
month for the ability to do it.

No costly servers to keep powered up. No need to do back ups (OK, fair
enough, no way am I trusting a 'cloud' provider to guarantee not to lose
my stuff) or worry about hard drive failures.

See where I'm going?

What is the difference between that and 'renting'? When I sit and select
an album on my SB+ do I care which NAS it is coming from? So equally I
wouldn't care if it came from Cloud Storage. Where is the line then that
would stop me (and you guys) wanting a Lossless Spotify?

IF Spotify or similar were lossless and had 'enough' content depth how
do I justify my strange need to 'own' the music? Even though I know I
need to own it, I don't really understand why.,,,,,

Cheers

Andrew