aspendl828 wrote:
> I pretty much agree with all the points in favour of a self managed
> local collection of owned files.
>
> My concern is that Logitech might sense the move to renting / streaming
> from third parties and any future product line may focus more on that
> source of music with the likely compromise of a lossy format at the
> expense of functionality that most on this forum (certainly in this
> thread) would prefer.
>
> Let's hope I'm wrong!

Although I'm as guilty as the next person on this, it is actually silly
to concern ourselves over these "what ifs" with regard to Squeezebox (or
other technology for that matter).  I was an active music
collector/listener in the days before CDs. If we had had similar
internet forums back then, think of what the threads might have looked
like, with folks worried over the ability of vinyl manufacturers to
continue making our audiophile 1/2 speed records, turntable
manufacturers, whether CDs would still work in the future because they
might be replaced by something else, etc. etc.  All I'm actually sure of
is that the future will be different from today with regard to how we
store, access, and play our music.  But most likely it will be better.
And whether it will be Squeezeboxes or some yet-to-be-heard-of maker of
some yet-to-be-discovered product is something no one can predict.

I woudn't want to return to my 1971 audio setup. And I suspect in 2022,
I wouldn't want to return to my 2012 setup.