mortslim wrote:
> Regarding battery life of a cellphone or iPad, my experience is that
> when not being charged, with screen off, just with wifi on to receive
> the audio stream and bluetooth on to broadcast the audio stream, there
> is relatively slow battery drain.

My experience is that if you have constant WiFi communication it drains
the battery within a few hours, but maybe bluetooth is better in this
regard.

mortslim wrote:

> My typical scenario is that I pick a streaming service, select an album
> or genre, and then put down the source device without the need to look
> at the screen while listening to the audio.

I pretty much have similar usage scenario as yours, but I usually enable
a smart playlist and let it play and when a new track starts playing I
want to be able to see information about it.
So the screen doesn't have to be constantly on but I do need to be able
to look at the screen now and then to see what's playing. This screen
doesn't necessarily have to be on the device I have in my hand,
preferably it can be a completely different device placed in a docking
station in the center of the room, this is what I use the Squeezebox
Touch screen for in my setup at the moment.

mortslim wrote:

> It is only when the screen is on that battery issues arise.  If you
> prefer to keep the screen on, there are multiple charging options:  an
> a/c extension cord, a usb extension cable, and for apple products, there
> are extra long charging cables.    Any three of these solutions, or a
> combination of them, will bring the actual source device into your lap
> while being charged.

Sorry, cables are not an option, I have enough cables already so
anything I need to hold in my hand need to be completely wireless and
have a battery that at least survive 10 hours of listening, preferably
days of listening. The iPad I currently have on the couch survives more
than a week as I don't have to use it that often since I can start a
smart playlist with my Harmony remote and see what's playing on the
Squeezebox Touch display. I still use the iPad for Squeezebox but it's
mostly related to when I want to do more advanced browsing using iPeng
or Squeezepad.

As a side note, the battery life on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 which I
also have is ridiculous compared to the iPad, the Samsung is completely
drained during a day or two even if I don't use it much, but hopefully
this isn't representative for other Android devices. The result is that
the Galaxy Tab needs to be constantly placed in a docking station else
it's out of battery when I want to use it, so it's mainly used as a Now
Playing screen using the 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
app or as a photo frame using 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
when nothing is playing.

mortslim wrote:

> As far as audio quality, this isn't your grandfather's bluetooth.  I am
> very happy with audio quality.   There are many reviews of these
> suggested products on amazon.com and the vast majority are very
> favorable.

Have you done any comparison between bluetooth and Airplay solutions
regarding audio quality ?
Considering the fact that Airplay is getting more and more common in
amplifiers from big HiFi manufacturers it kind of feels like it might be
preferred over bluetooth as a long term solution for people that like
Apple products. Of course the downsampling from 48k to 44.1k that occurs
with Airplay could probably still be an issue for a lot of people.

mortslim wrote:

> I don't know how a remote control setup would work to have one mobile
> device control another mobile device.  I haven't tried it.  As far as I
> know, an app on one mobile device can only control the audio on that
> device, not the audio on another mobile device that is using the same
> streaming service.

I think you can remote control the iPod app but I'm not sure it works
with apps for the streaming services.

mortslim wrote:

> I am not too familiar with Sonos, but I thought this was another "walled
> garden" where you are at the mercy of the selection of apps that Sonos
> picks, versus the more open world of the app stores for ios (apple) and
> adroid.

Correct, but they seem to be focused at providing the preferred multi
room solution so my guess is that it's likely that they will have
support for all important streaming services.

mortslim wrote:

> I guess there is no such thing as a perfect device.  You give up
> synchronizing between multiple rooms, but you gain more selection over
> current and future audio streaming apps.  And as mentioned on another
> thread, even if mysqueezebox.com doesn't shut down, there is still a
> risk that services now hosted on mysqueezebox.com will be updated to the
> point of not being compatible with mysqueezebox.com if no Logitech
> employees are there to coordinate the updates.

Correct, my feeling is that their are at least two categories of
people:

Category 1: Those that want to have their music in the pocket (on a
smart phone) and only want to listen to it in the room they are
currently in
- I think either your bluetooth suggestion or an AirPlay solution would
work great, probably even a lot better than current Squeezebox setup.

Category 2: Those that want to have the music in a central place in the
house and want to be able to control it from any room in the house.
- I think something similar to Squeezebox is needed, this means Sonos,
simple audio or similar solutions which are based on one or several
central servers providing the content.

I'm sure someone is soon going to bring up UPnP/DLNA as the optimal
streaming solution, but before doing that please show me an example
where such solution works with premium streaming services (Spotify,
Rdio, Rhapsody and similar) if you mix UPnP devices from multiple
manufacturers. I know the UPnP standard in theory should support it
through extensions but in reality I haven't seen anyone implementing it
using UPnP in such way that it works in a multi vendor environment.

Except for the above categories there are of course a lot of other kind
of users:
- People that want to control everything from a computer
- People that want extreme audio quality (audiophiles)
- People who rather want something simple to use than something
flexible
- People who mostly listen on headphones because they don't want to
disturb the rest of the family

However, as you say, I don't think there is a solution that fits
everyone, but I don't think a solution where the remote control and
streaming source must be on the same device is a good replacement for
people that loves Squeezebox,  if my understanding is correct this
pretty much rules out Airplay and bluetooth unless there is an
application on top of them which supports a remote control from a
separate device.

Finally, I think it's too early to give up on Logitech and the
Squeezebox product family, but I don't want to go into more details in a
public forum at this time.
Let's just say that there might be more things going on than what's
visible in this public community forum.