mortslim wrote:
> Logitech is laying off employees and losing money.
>
> Here is a link about the layoffs:
> http://allthingsd.com/20120608/struggling-logitech-bites-bullet-lays-off-450/

And hiring new people:
http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qgX9Vfw1&v=1&page=Job%20Description&j=oDqDWfwm&s=SimplyHired&sh_aa=1&utm_source=simplyhired&utm_medium=jobclick
http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qgX9Vfw1&v=1&page=Job%20Description&j=oRydWfwi&s=SimplyHired&sh_aa=1&utm_source=simplyhired&utm_medium=jobclick
http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qgX9Vfw1&v=1&page=Job%20Description&j=oZPjWfwN&s=SimplyHired&sh_aa=1&utm_source=simplyhired&utm_medium=jobclick

mortslim wrote:

> It is not in a position to be pursuing niche markets.  It is refocusing
> on the mainstream user with simple products that are easy to use and
> have widespread appeal.  Its not going to be doing anything involving
> "servers".   Most people don't know what a server is and don't care
> about them.

Agreed 100%

mortslim wrote:

> The future is cloud services.

Agreed 100%

mortslim wrote:

> The future is renting rather than owning.  If you don't own anything,
> you don't need a local server.

I think you are correct, the only thing that makes me doubt a little bit
is the fact that Apple still only allows us to buy music and not rent
it. It only gives me some doubts since they have done most other things
right during the last years.

mortslim wrote:

> The original squeezebox was developed when there were no streaming audio
> resources, no cloud services.  It filled a need when some consumers
> started ripping their own CD's to their computers and wanted an easy way
> to listen to them.  The original squeezebox was just a step up in the
> evolution of music listening from the multi-carousel CD player.

We have also seen a switched focus during last years from SBS/LMS to
mysqueezebox.com where more and more things have been focused at making
it easy to use mysqueezebox.com even if it makes it harder to use a
local server.

mortslim wrote:

> Now consumers don't buy CD's.  Why should they?  They can get any track,
> any artist, any genre, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for just $10. per
> month without the hassle of maintaining a server, or ripping CD's, or
> any of the other chores associated with collecting and maintaining your
> own music collection.  And you'll never own even a fraction of the
> albums that the big boys have, e.g. Rhapsody, Spotify, etc.

I believe you are right but it's also important to remember that a
significant part of the population still likes to buy/collect things,
they don't want to rent it as it means they might have to pay again if
they want to use it sometime later. However, for the general population
I believe you are still correct, the future is streaming services like
Rhapsody, Spotify and similar.