moos_man wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I would like to understand how big/active/passionate the Squeeze
> community really is at this point, and how much real interest there is
> in keeping things going, and growing, int the future. I'm not talking
> about keeping this on life support (as per now), but in terms of new
> products and restoring the commitment to quality music playback - think
> transporter on steroids and other cool products.
>
> I'm seriously thinking about making an offer to Logitech for the rights,
> so would appreciate considered feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Moos Man

Moos Man,

This is a great idea to think about.

I would may be add few other questions to this in order to see the
future.
The community is the place where owners of already purchased devices are
and might be not your future first customers.
The real question is where the market is? And who are your future
customers?

Some years back SlimDevices had technology advantages and unique
opportunity, but is it still true today? This forum is full of
discussions and comparisons and as you can find out - many alternatives
are available now from companies like e.g. Sonos, Philips and of course
Apple.
All of them have great set of alternatives and all of them are easy to
use out of the box, what was a bit different for SlimDevices.

Logitech is pursuing two monetization streams: devices sales and content
usage based - this is a major reason why all new devices are connected
to Logitech servers. Content usage based model is not new and already
well developed by e.g. Apple, followed by Google, Amazon, Sony and many
others (with different success rate !).
Logitec has made clear decision to move to "easy-to-use" and "no
knowledge required" segment – this is a volume strategy most likely with
low cost of the product to maximize the profit. It is what Logitech is
good at with ability to keep great quality standards - typing on
Logitech Keyboard and using Logitech mouse ;-)

What business model and monetization are you going to follow? Is it a
device sales? Would you be able to generate enough revenue to keep
network infrastructure up and running?

Would you go for advanced enthusiast “community” approach? How many
competitors are there already?

As the food for thoughts: e.g. companies like Denon, Onkyo and many
others have Network radio in their offering and rely mainly on device
sales leaving "network/traffic related" monetization aside receiving
only small royalty (guess based on indirect information) from content
providers like Spotify in case user has paid subscription.