You can always stick your phone on silent or redirect calls if you like
and then you'd have a useful device on you that you could use:

* As a compass
* To see where the public footpaths were
* To identify mushrooms
* To identify birds
* To identify trees from their leaves
* To identify wild flowers an orchids
* To ring the local farmer if you should find one of his cows has fallen
into the river
* To use as a torch when it gets dark
* To tell you what time it will get dark
* To identity the various constellations once it is dark
* To find and dwellings near you when you get lost in the dark
* To map and measure the size of a field

At one time or another I've used my iPhone for all of these things and I
frequently use it to identify things (for the last few days mostly
edible mushrooms) I spend a lot of time outside as I live in the middle
of the countryside. It has made my outdoor experiences much richer, not
to mention safer.

To forgo the benefits of a smart phone incase you get an junk call
(which are anyway easy avoided) seems a little strange.