Could you share a link to the back button discussion?

>From a usability standpoint I'd say what happens when you press a button
must be predictable for the user without studying Android user guides.

With simple Apps it is no problem to realize if you are at the root of
the activity stack. I never have a problem with Tapatalk for instance as
it just has three levels of navigation and not individual hierarchies.

Other Apps are not that easy. I include OrangeSqueeze here. There is
also a second use case: when you are deep in the menus one presses the
back button multiple times very fast to get to the top (because for new
users that's the more common way than to know that one can tap on the
top left button) so one can still close the App erroneous.
And even if technically the App is not closed, in the user perception it
is.

So personally I'd vote for a 'do you really want to quit button' indeed.

By the way: even Google does it in its navigation App because it's not
obvious if the back button leaves the App or gets you back to search
there, so you always have an excuse if needed :-)

By the way #2: I really miss a dedicated back button on iOS in the
meantime. Sometime leaving the App on error and having to restart is
much better than always searching the screen for a back button. I start
to tap the Home button now on error on iOS so I guess the OS that you
have installed on your main smartphone heavily influences what pattern
one gets used to most.

Switching between iOS and Android often definitely is a pain due to the
subtle differences everywhere (and if it's just different keyboard
layouts and treatment of special keys)