Some quick thinking and back of envelope figures comes up with the
following:

One board which has CPU, main memory (DDR2 or DDR3), boot rom, ethernet,
USB, S/PDIF out, I2S to a DAC chip, WiFi and HDMI. No onboard display,
no server.

I have found some very nice new processors that do almost everything
here, have linux distros ready to go which include drivers for all this
(including audio for USB, I2S and S/PDIF). Quick calculations come up
with $170 for board, all parts, and assembly in 25 unit quantities. Of
course price goes down as quantity increases.

This does NOT include: case, power supply, antenna and final assembly.

I found a very interesting DAC chip for this. As some of you might have
read in my posts, I am convinced that one of the biggest problems with
getting REALLY good sound from digital audio is the compromised digital
filters in DAC chip. This DAC is uniquein that it has a general purpose
DSP system included which allows you to implement your own filter! (by
default it uses the good old broken design that everybody uses, but you
don't HAVE to use it) Using a non compromised filter will significantly
improve the sound quality over what you can get from say a Touch. It
also has enough power to do things like room correction filters, speaker
crossovers etc. And it costs $9 in singles. It has a direct drive output
so it can directly drive RCA jacks without any caps or op amps etc.

With this DSP it can easily do things such  as what was done in the Boom
without adding any extra circuitry. It can also do other things such as
Dolby digital or DTS decoding. I would add a connector on the main board
so you can add an inexpensive daugther board and get 4 more outputs, you
can then have it do surround sound or digtial crossovers for triamped
speaker systems. With all the processing done inside the DAC chip!

The WiFi is also rather interesting, I found a little WiFi module which
has it's own processor which has a web server for configuratgion,
supports bridge mode, AP mode AND has a router and DHCP server built in,
all for $30. This means that not only can it connect to an existing
wireless network, it can make it's OWN wireless network so you can use
iPeng (or whatever) without having to have an existing  network or
worrying about how to connect this box and your chose remote to
something else. It offloads all the  wireless encryption etc from the
main processor, it just looks like a wired ethernet device to the main
processor (it also has a 5 port ethernet switch built  in which can even
do VLANs if you REALLY want to do fancy IT stuff)

Without having to do display or wifi stuff the main processor really
doesn't have all that much to do, just run linux, IP stack, audio
drivers and Squeezelite. It doesn't need to be a very powerful
processor. There are some very nice new processors which are very low
power (electrical wise, not throughput wise) which have two processors
on the same chip, one which is the main processor and the other that is
optimized for peripheral handling which takes care of a lot of the real
time interaction with things such as the ethernet and USB, freeing up
the main processor from having to deal with the low level interactions
with these. The linux drivers deal with all this already.

With the low power use of everything in the system it might be quite
possible to run this as a battery powered device. It's not going to be
very big either, something like 3x3 inches.

How does that sound, any thoughts?

Thanks,

John S.