erland wrote:
> Just some thoughts regarding this.
>
> Do you really need/want a kickstarter project for GEN1 ?
>
> My feeling is that GEN1 might be easier to handle just through PayPal or
> similar, I suspect you won't have any problem what so ever to find 25
> people interested, what will be harder is to select which 25 to give the
> opportunity to buy GEN1 to ensure that you get as much useful feedback
> as possible during GEN1 testing phase to make it possible to prepare for
> GEN2 as much as possible. You don't want to end up in a scenario where
> the people with the best experience for the testing phase doesn't get a
> GEN1 board just because there are more than 25 non technical donators
> volunteering to get GEN1 first. The only reason I can see to go with
> kickstarter for GEN1, is if you like to check the possibility to order a
> batch of 50 or 100 circuit boards instead of just ordering a batch of
> 25.
>
> For GEN2, a kickstarter project could make sense, but my guess is that
> you in this case probably want to decide on the company related stuff
> before setting up the kickstarter project, because you probably want the
> kickstarter funds to be payed to the company and not to an individual.
>
> Still, having said all this, it probably makes sense to investigate the
> terms for setting up a kickstarter project and look around if there are
> any recommendations what to think about when using kickstarter for a
> project like this.

Yep,
it looks like kickstarter will be much better for GEN2.

My own personal feeling is that we want to keep GEN1 to 25 at least for
a while. During the phase where linux distributions are being developed
etc it's going to be a VERY geeky thing, I don't want too many
non-technical developers involved at that point, it could get a bad
reputation. Once a good distribution gets developed so it can be booted
up and running Squeezelite without intervention then it's possible to
get a wider distribution. At that point we want people to try lots of
diffeent DACs etc, make sure things work, and also this is the time
where we can look into finding out things like thread priorities, buffer
sizes etc. That can do well with interested non-technical people. If the
group wants more than 25 GEN1 boards we can always make more (2nd and up
batches cost less, a lot of the setup costs have already been paid
for).

John S.