SWAMP05 is going out the door today! (well actually over the internet, I
guess that counts as a "doorway") Boy did this thing turn out to be
harder than I thought. Because I was going for 2 layer (for cost and
turn time issues, remember: high quality, fast, cheap -- any two. This
had some major implications for the high speed differential interfaces:
USB and Ethernet. It turns out it's very difficult to get the right
impedance with only two layers. I finally worked it out.

If I can figure out how to post a picture here I'll send a plot of it.

So now we should probably start thinking about Gen1 details, such
physical size, what case (these two go together. SWAMP05 wound up being
4.3" x 3.6". I don't see Gen1 being any smaller. There are a lot of
connectors to put on it, so I don't think my original idea of 4x3 with
the 3 as the back edge with the connectors working, it just isn't going
to fit. If we put the connectors on the long side (as I did in SWAMP05)
the smallest dimension it can be is 4", the smallest the other could
then be is about 3.5". They could be larger.

Based on previous discussions I think I'm going to put a USB hub on the
board, so we will have 4 USB type A jacks, even with stacking that takes
up a lot of room for full size jacks. I envision two stacks of two
jacks. I was thinking originally of doing two USB with an RJ45, but now
we have 4, AND the 2USB-1RJ45 don't have builtin magnetics for the
Ethernet. So I'm looking at two stacks of two USB, single Ethernet by
itself, stacked RCA jacks, TOSLINK, HDMI and DC power.

BTW Toshiba no longer makes optical audio modules and they have the
trademark on TOSLINK, so I guess we should call it something else.

The other big thing we need to decide is what we are going to do about
WiFi. I personally like the concept of using the Wizfi630 module which
does everything for us without needing any processor resources or
drivers on the wandboard. Others want to use the builtin WiFi module on
the dual wandboard. It's cheaper since it is already there, but you need
to get all the right drivers installed etc, and it's difficult to get
all the functionality we can get from the Wizfi630.

Then there is the issue of balanced output or not. Balanced adds to the
cost and complexity, but is still easier to do on the main board rather
than on a "daughter board" which can be done. If it's on the main board
then everyone is paying for it. In the case of HDMI it is litterally an
extra 95 cents connector, but balanced takes quite a bit more circuitry
and quite a bit of extra space. We are probably talking at least an
extra $75 to add Balanced. Do we want to add that to every board or have
available a $150 add on board which has to somehow mount in the box and
connect to the main board. If we do the add on board then the main board
and case have to be designed for it. Although once we have a "modular
system" there are other add on boards that could be developed.

Just a few thoughts.

John S.