castalla wrote:
>  However, maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite as I really don't like all this
> 'cloudy' thing ...
I think it won't be possible to do without a 'cloud' part.
pippin, erland & co want to build a software stack, that is able to run
on different hardware from different vendors. Now when one Music Service
changes it's API (or adds a cool new feature) if you don't do it with a
'cloud' approach, you'd have to distribute the update to anyone using
your software stack.

This is actually not possible - you see it with Android how difficult it
is there to get the latest version of the software out to all devices.

So the only solution for this is to wrap all music services in your own
cloud offer, to accomodate for all changes that might be happening on
the music service side. It's also by the way the only way to get
reasonable negotiation powers with music service providers: you need to
have current stats about your userbase (even if the userbase might
disagree here :) )

But yes: if you don't make enough money with it, you close down the
service - and users might be left with players that only play local
music if noone else steps in. But: as far as I understood the platform
is so open, that someone could still be writing an "ownCloud" server.
This is the same as with LMS today: if MySB.com closed down, someone
could upgrade LMS with a plugin that directly communicates with a music
services (like Triodes Spotify plugin).
I think this is the closest thing to 'acceptable' one can ever get.
Sonos users have bigger problems, when Sonos shuts down, compared to
Squeezebox owners in this regard.

Also - if it works out as expected you have a certain 'multiple' vendor
lock-in. They cannot let the service down without getting into big
trouble themselves. Might be also the biggest risk for them to start
being dependend on the ickstream platform at all, but this is a
completely different topic.