mule wrote:
> You're right. I'm willing to be dependent on my private cloud (with my
> own music) and the different cloud-solutions of the several content
> providers (like spotify, fm radio etc.). But I'm NOT willing to be again
> dependent of any let's call it "interface cloud provider" between my
> private cloud and the several content providers like it is/was with
> mysqueezebox.com even when using LMS.

If you are saying that you are happy with a solution like Triode's
Spotify plugin running in LMS, I'm happy to say that a similar solution
will very likely work also with ickStream if a third party developer
develops the necessary add-on to run on the local network. It will of
course only work for streaming services which have an open API, so if we
are talking about Spotify you will be fine, if we are talking about
Rhapsody it's likely not going to work because individual developers
will have a hard time to get access their API.

If you are saying that you don't want to have any code at all between
the device and the content provider, you will need a solution like Sonos
where the device interact directly with Spotify servers, but this means
that you are going to be limited to the services which the provider
prioritize to implement in the firmware and you will very likely be
locked into a single hardware vendor.

I think all alternatives have their advantages and disadvantages, what
we try to accomplish is just a solution which have similar openness to
third party add-ons as the Squeezebox and still ability to support many
different online content services where some only have private API's. If
this isn't what you want, there might be better alternatives than
ickStream available that fits you better.