erland wrote:
> For those of you who are living together with a spouse or kids, I'd like
> to understand a bit better how you would like to use local music
> libraries in the future. Ignore what's supported in LMS and Squeezebox
> today and instead think about how you would like it to work in the
> future.
>
> Do you have a need to let each family member browse their library
> individually ?

Yes - but see below.

erland wrote:

> If so, where are the music files stored ? On a central computer/NAS, on
> a computer/NAS per family member or on the portable device of each
> family member ?

What I do now, which may not be that efficient, is have one PC with a
big external drive (well, 2TB was big at the time) that has all of the
music we collectively own (80000+ songs over 20+ years).   Family
members are using both iPhone and Android for their own music.    So - I
guess central computer/NAS is the answer there - and then copy to other
devices as needed.

We have individual 'libraries' only because of the way iTunes works -
where we have a main iTunes that has everything, and in another user an
iTunes with just hat person's 'library' - since we have devices with
different Apple accounts and couldn't find a better way to make that
work.    Tried sharing the iTunes library with multiple users, but
didn't work well.

erland wrote:

> If you have individual libraries, do you also have a need for shared
> libraries which is common for multiple family members ?
>
> Do you have a need to keep track of playlists for each family member ?

More so that worrying about multiple 'libraries' - it's the playlists
for each family member that is most important.

erland wrote:

> Do you have a need to keep track of favorites for each family member ?
>
> Do you have a need to keep track of ratings and playback statistics for
> each family member ?

Would be nice - since that is similar to the statistics on each device
used to play music - and we can't keep that detail though the Squeezebox
where it's just one set of stats.

erland wrote:

> Does each family member have individual players which only one of the
> family members mostly use ?
> If so, should all players be controllable by everyone or do you want
> access to certain players to be restricted ? In that case why ?

Just one 'common' player - Squeezebox connected to a receiver that has
AirPlay.   Not important to me about restrictions.

erland wrote:

> Does each family member have their individual remote control/smartphone
> to control the players or do you also have remote controls which you
> share between different family members ?
>
> If you have a remote control which you share between multiple family
> members, is it a IR-remote, smartphone, tablet or computer ?

Have the Squeezebox physical remote control (Squeezebox 3), but mostly
use SqueezePad/iPeng (bought them both) on iPad/iPhone, and Squeezebox
app (I think just the Logitech one) on Android phone.     Use the iPad
mostly just because of the large screen.

erland wrote:

> How would your dream system work to work as good as possible for usage
> of local music on Squeezeboxes and portable devices in your family ?

I want my music available everywhere.   That's at home on the stereo
with the Squeezebox 3, and on everyone's portable devices (2 iPhone's,
one Android) in multiple places - in the house (either for iHome alarm
clock dock, or just at home in a room away from others), in the car
(would be great if it worked well in my car, and had a car-friendly
display like some apps do with large text), and just anyplace away - at
work, etc.

AudioGalaxy was great when it existed at letting me access local music
anywhere.    Too bad it shut down.    I sort of replaced it for 'away
from home use' by using Amazon Cloud and uploading all music there
(which yes, for 80-90,000 songs - too a long time) - but now music is
available everyplace - but playlists on Amazon aren't the same as local
- so that's not ideal.

As far as organizing music - having the large 'family pool' of music
that people can carve out their own playlists from is probably
sufficient - but creating local 'libraries' that they then creating
playlists out of might be better.    Managing physically moving music to
the devices would be nice - having to stream everything through the air
like AudioGalaxy is nice for those of us with unlimited data, but not so
much otherwise - so on one device, being able to have playlists on the
phone using local music and have that playlist appear when we are using
the Squeezebox would be better than we have now.

It's the playlists that work everywhere that's key - and having local
music available away.   Amazon Cloud gives me the music - but not the
2-way playlist sync I'd like, and doesn't give me MusicIP or SmartMixes
which I now use a lot.