toby10, European legislation and consumer practice is apparently very
different to what pertains in the USA. The dealer's behaviour was in no
way reasonable or correct. The OP made an offer to the dealer:  "Thank
you for your proposal to send me a Smart Radio in compensation of the
damage. I accept your offer ON CONDITION that you also send me back my
faulty Squeezebox Touch". That is a clear offer. If the dealer chose not
to accept it, then he should behave accordingly.

The fact that German and French were the languages in use here may have
something to do with the cockup. No doubt Google Translate, or whatever
means of translation was used, caused  misunderstanding and confusion.
Nevertheless, the OP is due his Touch back...whether he gets it or not
is another matter.

tikavista, I'd suggest you get on to one of the German Consumer agencies
and see if they will do anything for you, by way of contacting Deltatecc
and attempting to get an equitable resolution.