hi Ralphy

thx for that advice. I am still new to OS X and have no experience of
terminal, but I will look to trying that out.

However I have just installed squeezelite and while it seems to work
there also seem to be terrible sync/buffer issues at least while playing
through spotify. Also it refuses to play mp3 files, although I am sure I
have seen that issue described elsewhere on the forum, so no doubt I'll
be able to find a solution. More pressing is the dropout/sync/buffer
issues which, as I write this, are driving my GF up the wall!