Julf wrote:
> Well, it is best done once, on the FLAC (or whetever) file, instead of
> every time you play it. But I still don't understand why you need to do
> it.

Absolute phase of the recording is easily measured. Not all recordings
preserve absolute phase.

Instruments or voices recorded out-of-phase can be most easily discerned
with speakers that preserve the recorded waveform shape, typically
full-range single-driver or multi-driver systems that are designed to
preserve the waveform timing and phase.

Again, that a speaker preserves the waveform timing and phase is easily
measured... see Stereophile's measurements in speaker reviews for
details.

Not everyone believes this is audible and not everyone who believes it
is audible can discern this. I have speakers that do preserve waveform
timing and phase and I can discern this.

I have setup my main sources (computer music player and vinyl) so that I
can easily swap phases.

And of course, in some cases, some of the instrument or vocal tracks
will be absolute-phase-correct and others reversed, which means one has
to pick the best compromise.

Greg in Mississippi