Are you synching two or more players. On one winXP laptop I used to run
LMS on, it somehow couldn't work well with synching and it frequently
was trying to adjust to get the players in sync (which sounded like the
song skipping just a few miliseconds). When I looked at the sync log
(with debug turned on) I could see this happening.  Hasn't happened in
my win7 or Vortexbox installs of LMS so I never bothered trying to debug
further.

Bottom line, if synching two players, try without sync to see if that is
the culprit.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify