Thanks Gary --Yes I'm synching 2x squeezeboxes + the SqueezeLite player
on the VM (no to very little latency here).

I will try playing some music w/o synch. But if this turns out to be the
issue I've essentially downgraded my configuration to accomplish what
once worked fine. That is, I'd still be looking for a tuning solution
for this problem. Any suggestions there?