+1 for a fresh install of any OS is better, statrting with a clean reg
file so no hidden program links cause issues.  Now for my 2 cents, if
the XP is working fine no need to change.  Upgrading to a new OS is very
hardware dependant and being able to function at the preformance level
expected.  For Win 7 and above you should be using a Chip of a I3 or
higher and use as much ram that you can put in 4GIG min.

I use an old P4 running XP and 3Gig of ram (XP does not use ram above
3Gig) and it runs LMS, and MP3Tag smooth as glass.

Slim Device Transporter wirelessly connected

2nd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (MasterBedroom)

3rd SqueezeBox 3 Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Squeezebox Duet wirelessly connected (bedroom)

5th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

6th Squeezebox Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
running on P4 3.0 GHz 3 gig ram
Windows XP (Sp3)
350 Xternal gigHD
Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana