Even though LMS is single threaded, having at least two cores provides
the OS and other processes some breathing room. 2GB of RAM seems to be
plenty, even for my sizable collection.

The single biggest improvement I have seen is to replace the system disc
(the one with the OS, application software, and particularly, the SQLite
DBs) with an SSD. I've built quite a few LMS machines for family and
friends and I always use an SSD for the system now.

Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS
7.7.3 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic ->
NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2