> Just wondering how much a processor/memory is used by LMS?  Will
> upgrading motherboard, memory, etc/ make any difference to LMS?  Meaning
> if I go from single core to quad core processor or from 1Gb RAM to 16Gb
> make much difference to how LMS operates?  What is the sweet spot if
> anyone knows?

I think most has been said already. But I'd like to share a few details about
the findings we had optimizing LMS 7.9 (and beyond):

- while single-threaded, a second core still comes in handy eg. during the
scan. Under many circumstances the scanner is run in its own task.

- the bottleneck in performance almost always is the disk I/O. It's been
mentioned that SSD and ramdisk have helped many. One of the surprises I've
found was that eg. searching 100'000 tracks for a keyword which resulted in
four items only took a fraction of a second, while sorting these four rows
would cost my MacBook with SSD another 4-5 seconds! Turns out the search was
done without an index, and loading the index to "speed up" the sorting caused
LMS to load a whole lot of data from the disk.

- that said, memory can help overcome this bottleneck. We always had the option
to use a little more memory for the database. Alas, it's not enough for
collections of 50'000 tracks or more. In that case LMS can't keep all the
indices etc. it needs to do its job efficiently in memory. I've found that with
this 100'000 tracks test library I would have needed about twice the memory we
currently use. 7.9 therefore will have another performance setting which would
allow LMS to basically keep the whole database in memory (at last for most
cases we know of).

So... a new motherboard most likely will not help performance much. More memory
and LMS 7.9 will help. SSD instead of a harddisk for the cache folder will, too.

A little word of a warning: 7.9 is under active development. There are known
issues. But I hope to rule them out in a few days.