dyohn wrote:
> It's not that I think anything is necessarily slow, it's just that I
> have the ability to replace the MB with a significantly better one.  VB
> will utilize the additional memory and processor speed, but I was just
> wondering if there is any advantage to LMS.

mherger is doing some tests in LMS 7.9 beta at the moment to see if it
would be possible to speed-up the database on machines with more
memory.
Based on the library size in TB I suspect you have a decent amount of
tracks and might be affected by this change if it succeeds.
So, being able to use more than 1GB memory is not a bad idea, but I
doubt you will be able to take advantage of 16GB.

Storing the database on a fast drive can make LMS a lot faster at the
moment, but this really isn't related to the motherboard. Some people
have experimented with setting up a RAM disk and using it for the LMS
database, this should improve performance significantly but it's also a
bit of configuration work to set it up.

dyohn wrote:

> How much transcoding does it do?  My library is mostly FLAC and ALAC.

FLAC isn't transcoded unless you have explicitly configured it to
transcode FLAC to WAV.
I think ALAC is transcoded, but I'm not 100% sure.
Try to play an ALAC track and measure the CPU usage with "top" or
similar tool and see if it's using a lot of CPU. I personally suspect
the CPU you have today is already fast enough, but it's hard to say for
sure without measuring.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))

*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.