I've seen negative references to dlna in these forums, but am not
technical enough to really understand the issue.  Is it that there is
some fatal flaw with dlna to make it impossible to have the
functionality of LMS/SB, or is it just faulty execution?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that syncing devices has been an
issue, which would be a showstopper for me if a manufacturer can't
figure out how to do it as well as my SBs.  Not enough has been written
yet about the Id to know if they even claim to have addressed that
problem.

2-SB3s, 1-Duet, 1-Touch...and an iPeng convert.