mcdudeabides wrote:
> I've bought a couple from Small Green Computer (Andrew, the founder of
> Vortexbox, store front) and built several for family and friends.  I
> think it is one of the best Linux platforms for a LMS based media
> platform.  Keep in mind that it goes beyond just trying to host LMS and
> provides a number of other services (CD ripping, metadata via BLISS,
> FLAC->MP3 sync, etc.) as well.  The community also is constantly
> extending the platform and you can find a number of useful
> utilities/add-ons.  If the Vortexbox interests you, then you might want
> to drop in on their forum directly.  The community is very helpful and
> Ron Olsen is an omnipresent guru that helps with all matter of things
> (very helpful for giving non-Linux users context and perspective for
> some of the internals).
>
> http://vortexbox.org/forum
> http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/

agree. I have 3 Vortexboxes (purchased from Small Green Computer, but
since updated to the latest VB 2.3 OS).  One can use these simply as
servers for hardware SBs or use the included "squeezelite" players to
have one or more software SB players residing within the VB and feeding
analog (or more likely, USB > DAC) outputs for different locations.  All
using LMS and controllable with the same things (webGUI, iPeng, etc.).

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* several Touch, Radio, SB3
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify