dafiend wrote:
> ... Your perceived difference in sound quality is likely a placebo
> effect.
>
> Yes, your Benchmark DAC likely measures better than many other gear, but
> there's a point where differences are too small to be perceived by human
> hearing.

That I decisively disagree with. I can hear a clear difference between
the Benchmark and the Audioengine even when I use them both exclusively
as headphone amplifiers. There is more resolution. I will always know
which one I am hearing with. The question is whether the difference is
worth over $1.7k. For most it surely isn't. For me it is worth every
cent. :-)

It's also clearly a function of the equipment that follows the DAC.

And it is measurable, as in channel separation, noise floor etc. But far
more importantly, it can be heard.

When I am home, or next to a better source, I would never ever plug my
Shure SE535 or Grados into my Samsung S5. For prolonged, dedicated
hearing it is... an emergency solution only. Compared to any above, it
is muddy and congested.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware
Player
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- Creek Destiny Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->-
KEF LS50
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity
M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher