Julf wrote:
> So when only using their analog sections?

The data comes into either device as a digital stream (PCM out of the
Touch for the Benchmark, USB from the computer to the AE D1), so they do
the DA conversion and -let's say for the first test- send it out to the
headphone output. Both are very good, but the benchmark is clearly
superior even to people who aren't audiophiles. This is the more
minimalist test, and I can use the same headphone set on either, making
it quite clear it is only a DAC head-to-head comparison.

If we include the rest of the chain... it is a very unfair comparison.
The Benchmark feeds into a few thou of gear to deliver room filling
audio, the AE D1 feeds my AE A2 computer monitors. Don't get me wrong,
the latter at close distance -and especially fed through the D1- sounds
absolutely delightful, and I will not even qualify that with
"considering their price". I love that setup and spend several hours
listening to music that way most days.

And I have tried connecting the rest of the "premium" chain directly to
the Touch (using its internal DAC), and I will take the benchmark every
time. The music opens up very clearly. My girlfriend, who as a rule
couldn't care less, noticed the day I connected the Benchmark.

And as to connecting the A2s directly to the computer's speaker
output... that would be such a waste. :-)

I am not saying you can't get extremely satisfying sound for way less
than a thousand dollars... I have given rave reviews about the AE A5 and
A2, and the AE D1 or the Dragonfly are *fantastic*. But for my audio
shrine I will indulge some in the diminishing results one gets out of
carefully selecting better components. But all in all, there has never
been a better time to be a music lover that loves highly accurate
audio...

...p

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware
Player
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- Creek Destiny Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->-
KEF LS50
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity
M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher