Fizbin and Mnyb, thinking it's a solder issue is just a guess, coming
from the observation that putting mild torque or pressure on the
connections and/or board can change the behavior between seeing the
ethernet and not seeing it at all, and also between hiccups with the ir
communications of the remote and no hiccups.

The history is that a few months ago I started having reboot and
playback stutter issues, which I read there was a history of with the
wifi daughterboard.  So I tried reseating and removing the board and
then switched to ethernet and saw the other issues I've mentioned.  So
the hardware has had a lot of handling in the last two weeks.

No burnt smell inside the unit.  I'm not going to try to reflow the
surface mount stuff, that's beyond me.  I was just thinking about the
connector board containing all the audio, power, and network inputs.

But if anyone has other ideas to try, speak up.  About the issue when it
can see the ethernet but won't start playing, I checked and the server's
ethernet is not using jumbo frames.  MTU was actually 1500.