Yeah, it seems like there's some kind of baseline flakiness going on.
This probably accounts for:

- sometimes not recognizing that the ethernet cable is connected at all
- sometimes processing a button press repeatedly

Perhaps it's a heat thing related to a loose connection or hairline
circuit board break.  More experimentation may shed more light.

My gut tells me there is a different issue going on related to not
playing through ethernet.  I say this because simply changing the
configuration through the remote from wired to wireless gets it working,
and changing back makes it not work.  I would think the transport
mechanism shouldn't make any difference in the functionality end of
things, that it would either completely work or completely not
communicate.  But instead when it's wired, it _mostly_ works.  There's
some amount of data that is obviously being exchanged, since I can see
the database.  It's just the actual playback that freezes, only through
ethernet.

Can someone suggest particularly useful categories to turn on logging
for within the server?  There are many categories.