RonM wrote:
> LMS needs to be involved, so you need to install that on your laptop.
>
> Normally one would have a wifi router acting as intermediary between the
> laptop and the players (with the speakers built in to the Boom).  In the
> absence of that, you can set up the laptop so that it is in effect both
> the server and the router.  You do this by implementing an "ad hoc"
> connection between the laptop and the device.  "Ad hoc" is what it's
> called in the Windows context.
>
> I've done this with my laptop and a Boom, when on vacation.  Allowed me
> to control the music from my laptop, from the Boom and using a remote.
> Could use an Android/iPhone as well.
>
> Ad hoc connections are not the most straightforward things, but
> ultimately work fine. There are more difficulties implementing these on
> Win8, but it's not impossible.
>
> R.

Thanks for this, RonM, very interesting. I do usually use a router
between my laptop and the players but I have been having connectivity
problems, possibly due to my wireless extender (but that's a whole other
issue altogether!), so I'll look into the ad hoc connection.
Unfortunately I am running Win 8 at present.