Hmm.
I actually think we already have all the options we need. Raspberry Pi
with Hifiberry DAC/Digi/Amp, running Picoreplayer and you're covered.
The only problem I see right now is WiFi setup and maybe hardware
volume control for the "Amp" version.
Wifi is a problem, because you have to set it up manually, either by
editing files on a PC or by connecting to Ethernet and then doing setup
via webinterface.
Oh, and the Server running on an Odroid U3 is fantastic. Raspberry Pu
works as server, but it's a bit sluggish at times...

A small display and some buttons, and you'd have that solved, but adding
that on top of everything else is not so easy. Also, fitting it all into
some kind of case is not trivial either.

But one thing is even worse: as long as all this is DIY, and nobody
builds a player like this and sells it in electronics stores, it will
remain a niche product, and support for Streaming services and so on
will be up to the community, which might or might not keep it alive.
Without Triode, sbp and others the Squeezebox/LMS would have died ages
ago.