JJZolx wrote:
> It does that when you add any player. Always has. Unless you're talking
> about continuous stuttering.
>
> Unstable, how? Unable to maintain sync, or do you get dropouts? If it's
> dropouts, then it's a problem with your wireless network, not whatever
> you're using as a player.
>
> Once in sync, do you notice these skips? I never have. If you are, it
> would suggest something wrong with the clocks.

I'm not talking about continuous stuttering - only when a player is
added. Sonos and other products don't do this.
problem is maintaining sync over wifi not drop outs - think some of this
is related to the way libspotify which Triode uses buffers the data, but
regardless, it renders wifi sync'd players unreliable.

When things are in sync they occasional drift and then come back
together - there is no direct control over the oscillator on the rpi so
there will always be some drift. the drift isn't normally noticable as
corrections are made between tracks.

regardless of the underlying issues, the current squeezebox architecture
in the form of the RPI with i2S DAC has too many quirks for widespread
use when multi zone audio, WAF and access to a range of streaming
services is a requirement.