Oh, voice recognition actually works and it has indeed already worked
pretty well since the late 90s.
The biggest issue is that you need a huge semantic database to compare
with if you want to analyze more complex phrases which used to be a
problem for mobile solutions but now that they all just send some
meta-analyzed voice (or in the case of echo even the raw recordings)
back to some server farm and do all the work there it's obviously more
feasible, especially since you no longer have to replicate that database
to all devices.

The problem with VR is that it annoys everyone around you if you use it
and speech is also pretty slow for a lot of tasks, I think that's more
of a limitation than technology.

And then... call me old fashioned, but I don't want to have the NSA run
their bots over every piece of sound generated in my home, recorded by
an array mike that even detects the faintest whisper in the edge of my
appartment...

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*