philippe_44 wrote:
> if you can use normal tune, then the annoying factor goes away a lot.

I still feel it's awkward to start talking to a machine to control it
when you are not alone. It can disturb others or raise "did you talk to
me?" kind of confusion etc. I feel it's primarily for situations where
you are alone.
Here in Berlin's tech community I'm recently seeing quite a number of
people using Siri on their Apple Watch in public and I can't help it,
I'm annoyed by someone adding a reminder next to me. It's a bit like
talking on the phone in public, a pest that fortunately got quite
significantly reduced in recent years due to the fact that people now
tend to use messaging instead...

> there are many many simple tasks where it is very convenient and where
> using any other sort of input system is slow & painful - a sort of sweet
> spot for VR

Actually I believe it's primarily _complex_ tasks where it shines.
Simple tasks like changing volume are much easier done by a physical
controller, especially given latency and need to repeat the command.
But something more complex like a search which requires several steps
when done through a haptic UI can get much faster with voice because you
can phrase more complex commands in a sentence than a simplified UX will
usually directly allow.

> I understand that although I'm afraid anything we do is already scanned,
> unfortunately. I've given up hope on that
Oh, I'm pretty sure there are no microphones for mass surveillance in my
home right now (never can be sure about _individual_ surveillance but
that's a whole different topic).
And saying "I don't care" just makes it too easy for them. Companies
like Apple and recently to a certain degree also Google are trying hard
to fight back on the privacy front, let's not spoil all that by not
caring about even more severe intrusions.
Phones and Watches at least only have near-field microphones, Echo
OTOH...

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*