pippin wrote:
> Sorry, I still don't buy that. Even _if_ there were some DACs which had
> such a crappy design that their own interpolation filter created values
> that they would then clip, dynamics compression would actually make
> things better, not worse!
> What's the worst case for your interpolation filter? It's not _several_
> FFFF-samples, it's probably zeroes followed by a single FFFF-value or
> maybe two, followed by more zeroes. Get a digital spectrum analyzer and
> check it.
> Lots of FFFF samples are a very simple and boring case and will always
> interpolate to more FFFF values with no clipping.
>
> DACs are signal processing devices not speakers with mechanical parts
> and inertial. All you are discussing here makes a lot of sense for a
> speaker and at high volume a speaker might have more problems with
> compressed dynamics ranges, at least if it's got a badly designed filter
> (and you can never have perfect analog filters).
> But people applying analogies from mechanical issues to electronic
> signal processing is a very common misconception in audiophile circles,
> just ignore the nonsense. It's the same thing as assuming vibrations
> from your speakers or whatever would have any impact on your signal
> processing just because they do for a vinyl record player because that
> one has a mechanical reading arm. But they don't, unless you shake your
> device to pieces or vibrations are so hard that they change the
> properties of open inductors they will not and if the latter happens
> it's - again - just a crap design and will be much more affected by
> temperature changes or humidity than vibrations.
>
> You know: you read so much nonsense on this internet these days....
>

> OK, we had that, but Why would they do that and how? You mean they would
> drop the top bit or something? Or do you say that _cheap_ devices are
> adding complicated digital signal processing just to add even more
> dynamics compression?
>
> In any case, as said before: if they did anything like that your
> recording is destroyed, get a better rip.

One of the leading Engeneers in Digital Audio(Peter Lyngdorf, Founder og
Lyngdorf Audio and Tact) says something else about DAC's and clipping.
There is a video on youtube where loudness war is discussed(with Mark
Knopfler). I must say I agree more with him....
Unforunally it is in Danish so I don't think you will understand it, so
no reason for link to the video.
But what you call crappy desing is the real World handling crappy input.

Callesoroe
Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan
Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma
PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
Kitchen: Transporter, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom:
Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, WIMP-HIFI flac
streaming.
http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe