pippin wrote:
> Umm... wait, but that would be something else. Of course a DAC doesn't
> like clipped signals because the result will be nothing that makes sense
> so all of it's filters might make garbage of the remaining signals, too
> (not just the clipped frequencies).
> But again.... if your digital signal is clipped you can not "unclip"
> it.... Not with replay gain, not with anything else.

No you cant unclip anything , but the point is that some digital filters
and oversamplers makes things worse if the clipping is representerade as
consequtive 0dB samples "intersample overs" they internally try to
calculate levers above 0dB and some react badly and produces even more
distorsion . This effect is real as these kind of signal is out of spec
and many DAC and filter chip designers did not consider them to ever be
present on a CD . Of course you can have blocks of clipped signal by
good old fashioned distortion in the music , but to some filters this is
not the same as also "clip" the digital medium by trying to exceed the
16 or 24 bit you have to represent the signal .

But as said just lover the volume -3 to -6 dB.

But as Julf said you can get this phenomen by to much level by any
signal not just loudness war music . But it is also vey common practice
to do that on such music .

But I would like to see this measured in present day products , but it
is telling that benchmark did not consider this until recently ? And
they are considered one of the best DAC designers that just not buy a
set chips and slap together a nice looking products like most hig end
brands .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )