cliston wrote:
> Who created the original Slim Devices?  Who sold to Logitech?  Slim
> Devices was way ahead of its time IMO.  Streaming music is now the
> preferred way to listen to music, but at the time of Slim Devices is was
> not the way most people listened to music.  And Logitech....totally
> missed the boat.  They had a wonderful product that they have abandoned.
>
> I would guess that the original owner or Slim Devices signed some sort
> of non-compete clause when they sold to Logitech.  But how many years
> would that last?  Can this group of loyal Squeezebox owners track down
> the originators of Slim Devices and gain any knowledge from them, or
> persuade them to try again, with new and improved Squeezeboxes?  Is this
> a ridiculous idea?

Logitech didnt as much miss the boat as they got on it early, bought the
boat, took over it... but didnt understand where to steer it.

The original gang were music enthusiasts first and foremost, which
ultimately is not so relevant today - music enthusiasts are almost
extinct in the mass music consumer landscape. It's all decline from
here, as music has gone the way of "fast food" - people are happy with
renting 128kbps streams direct to their phone as loudspeaker.

And the people selling music dont really want you to own or control your
own music - they want you as one big always-online wallet and data
stream. Squeezebox was the opposite of that.

3x Squeezebox Touch (7.7.3-r16676)
4x Squeezebox Radios (7.7.3-r16676)
1x Squeezebox Classic
Server: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.3 1375965195
Mobile: 3x Ipeng on Iphone /  2x Ipeng on Ipad / Orange Squeeze+Squeeze
Player
Laptops: 2x Squeezeplay 7.8.0-r328