I used to use Spotify as a "try before you buy" kind of service but now
I feel foolish for buying an album when for all intents and purposes I
have all the access to it I need with the Spotify subscription.  I had
to really take a hard look at how I listen to music and also accept that
I cannot tell the difference between my lossless ripped FLAC collection
vs. the 320 kbps OGG files that Spotify serves up on my stereo systems.
If Spotify would allow me to upload all of the live concerts I enjoy
listening to and could play them back gaplessly then I would only use
that service as it would meet all of my needs.  I do miss the old
feelings of serendipity that came with digging through the used CD bin
at my favorite record store and finding some music I wasn't expecting or
being turned on to a new band by my favorite dj or buddy that I knew
also had good taste in music.  Something about that process was
rewarding in a way that a Spotify recommendation just cannot come close
to matching.  I also find I don't give a new album a real chance to grow
on me since I have made no financial commitment beyond my monthly
subscription.