BuddyRich wrote:
> Gotta admit I made the move to Sonos about 1 year ago, retiring LMS and
> my Pi2 and PiCorePlayer setup.  Actually sold a nice Bryston amp and
> Audiolabs DAC/Pre combo and bought the Sonos Amp to replace it all.
>
> I then lost some brain cells and retired my AVR and old discreet 5.1
> setup in my basement to go with a Beam initially and have upgraded it to
> a 5.1 setup in my home theatre by adding a pair of rears (cheap Ikea
> Symfonisk speakers) and Sonos Sub.
>
> To be fair there is the allure of "it just works" and I (and more
> importantly the wife) likes the lack of wires and its streamlined
> appearance - a basement reno sealed all of the wires fate.  The other
> reason for the switch was Apple Music support.  Airplay worked well
> enough for a single person but I just missed having a shared queue for
> stuff like that.  Sometimes my wife would like to queue up stuff, or
> friends - airplay didn't work for that (Spotty plugin and Spotify
> however was great...)
>
> None of my Sonos stuff is old enough to be legacy but on the Sonos
> forums I too have mentioned LMS/Squeeze as an alternative.
>
> I do still keep checking in here though.  Hoping for a AM plugin for
> LMS.  I will say without a doubt iPeng is probably the nicest music
> controller app Ive used.  Not sure if Pippin is a ux/ui guy IRL but its
> truly designed for a touch device with it use of swipe gestures.   Its
> fluid, intuitive to use, and just works.  On Android I find Squeeze CTRL
> a close second but Ive been off Android for awhile.  Those both put the
> official Sonos app to shame (so many menus rather than putting control
> front and centre) and though they have released an API hardly anyone has
> attempted to write a 3rd party app for Sonos.
>
> I am curious - if it ever came to it, how would I use Sonos devices with
> LMS (as player endpoints I assume).  Some have airplay 1/2 so could be
> bridged via that plugin.  Are Sonos devices also upnp/dnla compatible as
> well?  Would that plugin work.  Would it be better than the airplay one?

The sonos devices are upnp/dlna enabled - you can use philippe's
UPNPbridge plugin - there's a configuration profile already set up for
sonos.   His airplay plugin doesn't handle airplay2 (as far as I know).
The sonos devices appear as players to LMS.

You lose none of the sonos features ... the two systems reside side by
side.

LMS control is way ahead of anything sonos have (both in ease of use and
multi-system choice).

LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers:  Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam,
Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google
Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5,
Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva
BT transmitter

Brexit =  ∞ stupidity