This is the exact same thing as Apple no longer supporting upgrades for
a first gen iPad and then those users seem happy enough to upgrade to
new models that guarantee forward compatibility.

And as great as the Squeezebox ecosystem is, let's not forget that
Logitech abandoned it way before Sonos stopped providing updates to a
few old devices (I don't know and I don't care if they stay somewhat
functional for now, not my issue :-D).

But trying to convert Sonos folk to adopt the Squeezebox ecosystem is
probably a pretty doomed effort.

Most of the market these days is based on:

1. Bluetooth speakers. Turn them on, and stream music from your
smartphone. I should say I abhor their sound and my audiophile is
offended, but actually some are quite decent.
2. Smart speakers + home assistants. Turn them on, they stream music or
control your TV and they also happen to spy on your entire household all
the time. Big naw from this guy... like never ever.
3. Sonos. Easy to set up, multi-room and while it's not my cup of tea
nor do I think it sounds mind-blowing, hey, clearly many people love it
and it does claim a big spot in the market.
4. Proprietary "high end" audiophile streamers. They can look great and
can provide some UI and ease of use benefits, but if they cost more than
$2-3k the point eludes me entirely.

And then there is us in the supposedly dead Squeezebox ecosystem. The
advantages are too many to name. But the fact of the matter is that a
system that was abandoned by the company championing it and now relies
on the goodwill of a dedicated community is unlikely to gain mainstream
success.

I *do* have several friends that have adopted it and love it. Even after
Logitech pulled the plug. But I also have friends that did initially,
and then one day I show up at their place and they have a Sonos running
and look at me like I'll get upset, but I couldn't care less, it's their
home and their decision. :-)

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu
18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- KEF
Reference 1
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure
1540