philippe_44 wrote:
> What about the case of squeezelite on a Pi with a hat AMP hat or
> squeezelite-esp32. Even one of my old duet is connected to a pair of
> active speakers where I cannot control individual balance.
>
> At the same time, my question came from the fact that inside slimproto,
> we have gainL and gainR, but it is never used, so why having both then?
> (hence the modification to add balance was extremely simple)

I have updated LMS and squeezelite to the latest available versions via
Github. and I am now experimenting with the new balance control, found
in Settings -> Player Settings -> Audio. I note that the negative number
appears to move the center towards the left channel and a positive
number moves the center towards the right channel.

Question: how much does a -1 or +1 value represent? 1% or 0.5 dB?

Suggestion: an info box associated with this setting would be helpful,
explaining what it is doing and what a negative or positive number
represents. There appears to be a range limit on the value that can be
entered, and I suggest adding that to the "info" too.

I think this is a fantastic feature, and I should have asked about it
years ago. I was diagnosed with Ménière's disease some 20 years ago, and
the effect I experience is that my right ear has a vastly reduced
dynamic range. I do not have a loss of hearing, but the reduced dynamic
range, (>20 dB) means that when the range is exceeded on the right side,
my hearing goes into heavy distortion long before the left side begins
to distort. When using speakers, the effect doesn't seem so pronounced,
but with headphones, the effect occurs frequently. Being able to set the
balance enables me to steer the "center" away from the right ear,
results in a dramatic improvement in my enjoyment of my headphones.
Being able to do this via a simple LMS player setting will make this
easy and straight-forward.

Thank you Philippe.

Question: does the the SB Touch support the gainL and gainR slimproto
commands? If so, could the balance setting be extended to support the
SBT in addition to squeezelite? I imagine the same question could be
asked about the Transporter too, but I don't have one of those:)

*Living Room:* SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU >
VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans
cables > B&W 804 speakers
*Laptop:* System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite +
Vivaldi/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
*Bedroom:* RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink
Revolve
*Phone:* Pixel 3a + SB Player + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
*Server:* Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 8.2