Before I get to your ideas and recommendations about back up and a
remote controller, I want to revisit a mystery that had me fretful early
on in the process, and still fretful up until a moment ago. The
information may come in handy in the future if a member runs into the
same situation, which is: RP did not show up as a connected device on my
network.

You may or may not recall that when I first burned pCP onto an SD card
and plugged it in and wired up the RP it did not show up as a connected
device on my network. I thought my image burn was incorrect, so I
focussed on that.  Also I called tech support at my ISP and the person
there did not see it as a connected device either.

Once I got a micro HDMI cable and wired into a TV, I saw a valid IP
address. And I was able to achieve happiness soon thereafter. But it
bothered me that I was not seeing RP or pCP on my router's connected
devices.

My network hardware setup consists of a cable modem / router (Arris
Gateway Modem) and in two "Plume Home Pass Super Pods" that are plugged
into electrical outlets, one on first floor, the other upstairs.

My RP is wired into the router and not into one of the pods. My ISP told
me this morning that the Raspberry Pi hardwired into the Arris gateway
modem will not show up as a connecting device since it is not connecting
to one of the pods. That still bothered my because I not only couldn't
see it on the Plume Home Pass but couldn't see it when I plugged in the
Arris IP address and navigated around the various settings there.

I got a note from a supervisor just now at ISP saying the pCP is showing
up and can be seen in a list under the LAN Setup client listing for the
Arris router. But it will not show up on the Plume Home Pass. I sure
couldn't find it until he sent me a screen grab showing me where to
look.

So, the RP/pCP was on the network all the time. I just wasn't looking in
the right place for the right list. Doh!

Of course neither was the customer support guy at the ISP.