philchillbill wrote:
> A few years ago, I wrote a shell script that I installed on my SB-Radio
> to read out its internal light sensor and post that data to Domoticz in
> a 5-second CRON. I could do that by SSHing into the Radio and by knowing
> it’s a Linux-based device, I could find my way around on its file system
> pretty quickly.
>
> When my script is running, it in no way changes the behavior of the SBR
> from a user’s perspective. That did make me very aware of what happens
> when a device on your local LAN is compromised to become part of a
> botnet. My code wasn’t malicious and I wrote it myself, but what if?
>
> To get in to the SBR, you have to navigate the menu structure in the
> player’s GUI and enable SSH. In theory you need physical access to the
> player to do that. But of course if there’s a zero-day in the BusyBox
> then who knows…
>
> The chances are very, very, very small. But never, ever, say never.

Thanks a lot for your replies. The main trigger for my concern are the
frequent warnings in the media about smart home appliances (like
dishwashers with wifi) that are often not updated, so that unpatched
weaknesses can be exploited by hackers who then can enter your home
network and sniff out what you're doing on your other devices, such as
phone and computer.
So my assumption was that eventually in every device that is longer on
the market, weaknesses may be discovered and exploited. The same also
applies for computers and phones, of course. But your testing puts my
mind at least a little, awesome that you did that, philchillbill.