Labarum wrote:
> Surely that would require two DACs?
>
> On the back of the Beresford DAC there are two pairs of RCA output
> sockets labelled fixed and variable, but both output the same analogue
> output from the one (stereo) DAC. The output signal is always available
> on the fixed pair; but on the variable pair (the other side of the
> volume control) the signal is muted when headphones are plugged in.
> (Beresford DACs 7510 ane 7520 work like this, later models don't.)
>
> The fixed output goes to the integrated amp which has its own volume
> control. The headphones are always plugged in. If I want to listen to
> the TV through the HiFi speakers I turn the amp on. Whether it is on or
> off the phones are working, and the volume control on the DAC sets their
> level.
>
> The TV is set to output to the internal speakers and the optical socket
> simultaneously, but the volume on the TV remote is set to zero all the
> time.
>
> If one person wanted to listen to the TV and the other in the room
> wanted to listen to music on headphones, the TV remote volume could be
> turned up and the amp left off. It never happens in our house!
>
> That is as close as I can get to what I think you want.
>
> An older TV might have an analogue line out (on RCA sockets or on a
> SCART) which could be routed to another input on the HiFi Amplifier, and
> selected on the Amp. I could do that with my last TV. That would achieve
> what you ask.
>
> This adaptor may pull analogue audio (R+L) from the SACRT of an older
> telly
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154754995742?hash=item24081dd61e:g:fLsAAOSwxKxeXLCH
>
> I say may because SCART wiring is a black art. I got a soldering iron
> out and made my own cable!

That isn’t why I asked. I wondered what the use case was.
I have my TV wired into an AVR which also has a Pi plugged into it and
quite often I listen to music on headphones while Swmbo watches TV but I
use an iPhone with iPeng controlled by Material and an Audioquest
Dragonfly to listen. It lets me move around but still gives me HiFi
quality music.

Jim
https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* Joggler & Pi4/Khadas  -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s

*Office* Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
*Dining Room* SB Radio
*Bedroom (Bedside)* Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom* SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s +
Kef ceiling speakers
*Guest Room* Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes