And, most frustratingly, I can't get anything out of LMS because the
container build seems to have been denuded of any useful comms or
diagnostic tools.

The image is based on Debian (bullseye-slim). Thus after running "apt update" you should be able to install whatever you need. A Docker image should run one single task. Thus there's no need to pre-install all kinds of tools 99.something percent of all users would never ever need. And TBH: a person who knows how to connect to a Docker container's console I would expect to be able to install those tools manually when needed.