I have been trying to help Hilts with this, (Hi Andrew :)) and failed
:(:(

Just to add my tuppence to this

I assembled  a similar set-up;  ESS9023 DAC HAT on rpi3B, LMS v8.3.0 on
a rpi4b

one SD card with pCP 8.2.0 Squeezelite player:- gives the following
error and is not available as a Spotify-Connect device

> [22-11-03 23:43:40.1286]
> Plugins::Spotty::Connect::DaemonManager::checkAPIConnectPlayers (210)
> Connect daemon is running, but not connected - shutting down to force
> restart: b£:*7:%b:£(:^6:** pCP

T'other SD card with RPI OS Bullseye Lite Squeezelite player:- is found
as a Spotify-Connect device on a iPhone 6s, no messages at all

Hope this helps

ronnie