seanadams Wrote:
> samlw,
>
> Your situation is not typical at all - nearly everyone using AAC is on
> Mac/Windows (or a linux machine capable of running faad), in which case
> it simply works. I'm not sure why you keep pushing the SoundBridge
> button - we are well aware that porting codecs is "possible", but I
> think you underestimate the cost of implementing and licensing codecs
> for an embedded system. As we've said, the benefits are relatively
> miniscule in the case of AAC, given that it already works just fine on
> any of our supported platforms. That's not to say it won't happen -
> just that it's not a high priority.
>
> BTW if you ever need to use ANY lossless format (Flac, Apple, WMA) or
> any non-mainstream/emerging format, you will be very glad you chose
> Squeezebox.  :)
>
> We do appreciate the feedback though, and client-side AAC is understood
> as a desirable feature.
>
> Sean
Sorry, I don't mean to "push the SoundBridge button." I think the
Squeezebox is a great product, or I wouldn't have bought one. I only
bring it up because AAC/iTunes integration is a differentiating feature
of what I perceive to be Squeezebox's main competitor.

You say that my case is atypical. However, a simple google search will
turn up many many users of LinkStation and other low-power NAS devices
as music servers feeding Squeezboxes. Its a great thing to have a small
quiet 17w server dedicated to streaming your music library, rather than
operating a hulking power-hungry noisy desktop computer 24/7. The
combination of LinkStation + Squeezebox is such an elegant one that I'm
surprised Slim hasn't pursued an official partnership with Buffalo. But
I digress.

In my case, I am running mt-daapd on my LinkStation. This serves shared
music to all iTunes clients on my network. If Squeezebox incorporated a
daap client, it would be able to see and play all that music, as well
as any music being shared by any other instances of iTunes music
sharing on the network. This of course would not preclude using
SlimServer to gain access to additional formats and features, for those
who want it. But I think this would be a great feature for the
Squeezebox. For one thing, the unit could be up and running and playing
music out of the box without requiring installation of any software (for
iTunes music sharing folks, at any rate).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening. And thanks for making a
great product. I'm just offering some ideas that I think would make it
even better.  :)

--
samlw