I'm a bit late arriving at this discussion, but anyway:

I already have a PC in the lounge, running Windows Media Center Edition
2005, hooked up to a 42" plasma and a decent surround sound system. So I
decided I didn't need a Squeezebox - I could just use the PC instead.
But I came across the following problems:

1) Unfortunately MCE2005 doesn't support FLAC (and almost all my music
is in FLAC format)

2) The MCE2005 music browser is painfully slow (yes, worse than
SlimServer!!).

3) Its a right pain having to turn on the plasma screen just to play
music. And once the music's playing, do I leave the screen switched on
(burning a static image into the screen), or switch it off (and not
know what track is playing)?

In the end, I just bought a Squeezebox because its so much more
convenient! For music I use the Squeezebox, and for TV and DVD I use
the PC. And when I'm watching TV, the Squeezebox makes a great
clock...

Running Softsqueeze on the PC wouldn't really be feasible for me, since
its impossible to control with a remote. Although I suppose I could buy
a web tablet instead, and control Softsqueeze via the web interface???
But I'd still have the problem of whether to leave the screen on or
off.

Chris

--
cbemoore