mherger Wrote:
> > I know you can install Linux on modded XBOX, but have anyone also
> tried
> > to put slimserver on top of it, if that works, how about putting the
> > AlienBBC plugin also, any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I think there was once a guy who wanted to remaster SlimCD to install
> it
> on a xbox...
>
> --
>
> Michael

> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

I'm that guy...reading this thread through shows you the relative
difficulty of getting Linux on the Xbox
(http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki)

IMHO you should be "willing" to do the "hardware preparation" spoken
about on xbox-linux, since the Xbox will become a dedicated music
server. The Xbox Linux project has links to people willing to do the
conversion for you for free and return the box unharmed (read the
caveats _carefully_ through)

I chose the Xbox becuase it has much more processing power compared to
a NAS slug or the LinkStation, so I can do transcoding on the fly and
streaming is better. The hardware preparation allows you to swap out
the hard drive to a larger one and dedicate it to music storage,
playlists, album art and lyrics, etc.

Specs. are readily available on the internet, but the Xbox Linux
project website has a great "convince me" page as to why one might
choose an Xbox. At command line running status (e.g. runlevel 2 or 3),
again Michael's idea, the limitation of 64 MB of RAM (actually 60 MB
since 4 MB is reserved for video), a GUI is overhead you don't need.

Essentially, I keyed on Michael's LiveCD idea as the _starting_ point
only. The Xbox does not have enough power to run as a LiveCD only. I
used it as the "trainer" to get the system up and running the software.
The final arrangement is as follows:

1) Xbox (v 1.0 unit) with hardware preparation
2) X-DSL 0.5 (http://x-dsl.org) "remastered" to include perl source,
Michael Herger's perl 5.8.6 build binary and SaMBa build for Windows
file sharing
3) Debian startup script 2
4) Running at runlevel 2 (NO GUI or Xwindows)
5) ssh daemon allowing remote system management tasks
6) cron daemon allowing automated system management tasks
7) ntpdate for system time update

The unit is still in development because it was inherited as junk and I
had to patch in an ATX power supply and voltage regulation homemade
circuit to get it to run.

Once I have it up and running, I will likely take my notes and compile
a HOWTO.

Overall, my recommendation would be to take a close look at Damn Small
Linux for the Xbox (x-dsl) and use that as the starting point.

Ultimately, I wanted to have an install CD prepared that would do all
the work for me, but my scripting skills are zero. Remastering for Xbox
booting is not that hard once you learn it. Making an install CD is
somewhat harder because of the variability and offering some user
choices.

Stay tuned Xbox fans.

--
squiffy